Garden Update Part I: My Planters



Hellloooo....

Wow, do I have A LOT of pictures to share with you, so many that in order to cover the entire scope of the good, the bad and the ugly I need to break this new garden update into several themed posts! Yipeee... I know I should start with the bad first and leave the good for last, but I'm doing it the other way around because the post on the bad, a.k.a. my plant tragedies, requires a lot more writing, as in details on the various culprits of my plant woes and some mopey ranting. Regardless of how much green thumb, motherly and grandmotherly guidance or reading you do gardening is definitely a learn as you go hobby!

One thing you will notice from the pictures in this post is that the succulents and cacti that didn't perish (for one reason or another) are raging out of control! Out of control as in plants gone rogue! Plants gone rogue as in they've grown and are growing like crazzzzzy! I've said this before, but nature never ceases to amaze me so I say it again! Now that it has been nearly two years since I started gardening, I've seen plants go through pretty phases and ugly phases throughout the year, it's a cycle. I've noticed patterns in so many of my plants, specifically the succulents, which I find to be more sensitive. I've learned which succulents and cacti grow faster, propagate better and can survive lots of rain and sun, as well as which ones don't. Like I said, learn as you go...

So, apart from the account of all my plant deaths and pests, upcoming posts will include newly filled planters such as two of those four mini strawberry pot planters I bought at Lowe's a while back (show in this post) and others.  Cactus Corner is long overdue for an update, wait until you see it, it's radically different - as in a whole separate mess of awesomeness combined with trial and error. Additionally, I have a post planned for the large blue strawberry pot planter that I filled with succulents and cactus as a gift for Mother's Day (first seen in this post). All I can say is, that thing is amazing!!  It's one of the best planters I've ever made! An update on many of the plants in my mother's garden is also in order, there's tons going on there!

I'll get workin' on those other update posts, in the meantime I hope you enjoy this one!  Have a great day!

If you like this post check out these:
Garden Update - July
Garden Update - April Part 2
Garden Update - April
Garden Update - February

Cactus Corner
My Mother's Garden
Backyard Garden Tour
Weekend Garden Goodies

Succulent and Cactus Garden Tour

*all* Garden Update posts
*all* posts on my garden
*all* posts on my mother's garden
*all* posts on my grandmother's garden


Catherine
xoxo



Where do I even begin with this succulent??  The color is oh so wonderful, especially in contrast with the turquoise of the planter!  This gem has come a long way, for a while after I got it I thought it was on the verge of death (look at it here), but it seems to be thriving now!  I'm smitten!


These succulents have changed in color, back in April and July they were more purple....


As you will see there are quite a few plants which I will refer to as beasts or the "Hulk" in this post, this is one of them (above)...  The beast is called Kalanchoe Serrata a.k.a. "Magic Tower" and I spotted it growing by the side of the road last year as I sat in rush hour traffic on my way home from work, obviously one day I got off the car and plucked some - read all about it and see pictures of my initial clippings in this post.  I don't know how tall it gets, but I'm going to find out.  Wait no, how could I forget, the ones over in Cactus Corner are so tall that they're drooping in the shape of a U!  In other words, they really don't know when to stop...  I would suggest cutting off the tips when they get too tall.  Yes they'll have blunt tips, but don't worry, they grow (and spread and propagate) so fast it's sorta disturbing!

Sigh...





I believe this cactus is called Euphorbia trigona a.k.a. "African Milk Tree"...  It is one of the many cactus and succulent plants in my garden that have grown tremendously!  I am so happy that I have succeeded in nourishing it thus far since it was a gift from my grandmother.  Look at how small it was back in 2010, and to think that I used to worry about how slow it was to put out little cactus "arms" because now it's a beast!




These spiky guys just keep growin' and growin!  I think they're fantastic!  The photographs in this post show just how sexy the Alluaudia procera a.k.a. Madagascan Ocotillo is up close!



Get a load of this Pencil Cactus - Euphorbia tirucalli!  I am amazed at its growth, it's like the Hulk, check out how teeny tiny it was back in April 2010 when my mother first gave it to me!



This thing is Hulk #2 - Hulk Aloe!  Just take a look at how much it has grown since this February post!
Succulents are freakin' amazing! :)


The various shades of color throughout the leaves and the pinkish red outline of these Kalanchoes is such perfection! 

I can't get enough of these little scarlet flowers on this cactus vine, they are truly a work of art!  I believe this cactus is called Asclepiadaceae Huernia schneideriana a.k.a. The Red Dragon flower!

It's time to transplant this gorgeous prickly monster into something bigger and reuse this planter for something else...  Knowing my clumsy self, it's going to be an incredibly painful task!  Haha...


This succulent has great colors and texture, I believe it's either Kalanchoe tomentosa a.k.a. Golden Girl or Kalanchoe Tomentosa cv a.k.a. Chocolate Soldier...


This is my mom's McCoy turtle that I filled with succulents because it had two broken feet with little holes, hence drainage...  So far it has only suffered the death of a little bit of sedum and one small succulent....


This cactus is a real treasure!  It's a it's a bit shriveled in this photo because I had it under the patio to protect it from getting too much rain and it got thirsty, that has since been remedied.  As you can see, it has two huge bulbs that are about to open...  What you don't see is how it does this CONSTANTLY.  That's the beauty of it, it blooms frequently and it has a nice fuzzy velvet texture.  You can see the amazing blooms in this post.




I love this tubular coral looking Jade plant!







(All images in this post are my own personal photographs, please do not use them without my written permission. If you would like to use any photographs of my home, garden or artwork please write me at InspireBohemia(at)gmail(dot)com - Thank you.)