Post-Halloween Update...


Happy Friday!

I know I know - I'm terrible!  It took me four days to finally do this post-Halloween update.  Time waits for no one!  Oh well, you don't mind too much do you?  Another terrible failure on my part would be that I did not take any pictures of myself on Halloween night!  It was a pretty low-key Halloween around here, how about yours?  For years we have noticed that not many kids trick-or-treat anymore.  In fact, this year my sister didn't want to go out, she wanted to hand out candy with me, and so did my brother...  He and my sister actually bickered about who got to stand at the door, isn't that hilarious?  Even though I spent Halloween at my mother's house last year too (check out this post), this year I'm living here, so it was a bit different - I feel like a kid again sometimes.  However, I did put on all black and a witch hat (ooooh a rhyme!) but I didn't bother to paint my face green, I guess I lost my steam because there were only two or three sporadic bursts of five or six kids, that was all...  We played spooky music and my brother threw together a creepy costume using my decorative wood carved African mask, a head sash and some fake black witch nails... he wasn't anything in particular, but he sure did freak out those poor little kids.  At one point a little girl ran back to her parents at the sidewalk screaming and my brother called out "sorry about that, but Halloween is supposed to be scary!" - hahahaha!  Well, it's true!


So anyway, I've thrown in a few pictures from our indoor decor with the lights out and candles lit to remind you of how it looked along with a few pictures that actually got taken that night...  Also, I've included a few photos that I took at the family dinner party that I went to on Saturday night, that's my mom and I in the image above.  How was your Halloween?  Have a nice afternoon!





My brother, doing his best to freak out the trick-or-treaters in his homemade costume...

My sister, cleverly disguised as a witch, hahaha... this was before it got dark...

And our amazing Boxer, Kimbo, on full alert at the sound of little kids shrieking... 

...Speaking of shrieking, that crazy red wall has my mom and I doing our fair share!  Don't ask what we were thinking (over 10 years ago), just know that the perpetrator was some funky divided roller with a rolling tray for two paint colors that my aunt gave us and raved about.  My mother has lived with this design crime ever since and I am determined to fix it for her.  So I'll be back one day soon with the paint brainstorming/plans and the before and after images of that area.  I want to get it done before Thanksgiving so I can show you images of our buffet and tablescape decor without that hideous red wall ruining everything, LOL!

And now for a few images on the food and decor at the family dinner...

The dinner was like most of our friends and family dinners at my aunt's house, a buffet style serve yourself table full of goodies! It wasn't a Halloween dinner party, just a small get together/reunion for some special family friends that were in town.  My aunt made a simple centerpiece using tree branches and Spanish moss from her yard arranged in a vase with some black river rocks and a decorative figurine. She added a crystal pillar candle holder and a few other tea lights and decorative accessories to complete the look... By the way, aren't those ceramic wall flowers to die for?

My mother made a delicious Sock-It-To-Me cake with plenty of nuts and Cointreau spiked glaze...mmm...

I really loved the decorative sterling silver cheese pins used to adorn the various blocks of cheese on the fruit and cheese platter....

The nibbling mouse...

....perfectly staged with a crumb of actual cheese on his nose for humor...

The goat, which serves to label the cheese that it's in as a Goat Cheese! :)


And here is a cow for the other cheeses...


(All images in this post are my personal photographs, please do not use them without contacting me first at InspireBohemia(at)blogspot(dot)com - thank you!)