Cactus and Succulent Planters


I know.... I know.... 

I've been missing in action waaaaay too long and I deserve to be punished! *sigh*

Even worse, I haven't done a garden update or any type of garden post since....OCTOBER! *GASP*

What can I say? Other than I've been a tad lazy, a tad busy and tad preoccupied with organizing my life. My life is in a state of limbo after moving, but I hope to have my feet firmly planted on the ground again very soon. I'm sure you all understand... And if not, well, in the words of Bill Cosby, "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." I first heard that quote the other day and I am quite pleased I found a way to work it into a blog post, HA! As for my garden, well, between packing, moving, the holidays and my plants not looking as fabulous as they should have, I just didn't have the motivation to post a garden update. But.....

Now my garden currently resides within another garden, and that's the oasis that is my mother's backyard.... They're scattered lovingly around the pool and amongst her plants in the covered patio. And wow! They are growing and thriving beyond my expectations now that they are no longer enduring harsh sun and wind up on a 16th floor balcony downtown! Have I mentioned how happy my plants make me?? I can't quite explain the joy I feel when I go out to my planters and see leaves propagating little babies and most of all, such drastic improvements in their health! The succulents are more succulent, their colors more vibrant, and they are growing, growing, growing!! Many of them, mostly the Hen and Chicks and Kalanchoes, have sprouted flower buds!! My "Magic Tower" Kalanchoe, (which I found growing in wild abandon by the side of the road while stuck in rush hour traffic - read all about it in this post) has put out the most lovely salmon pink flowers that hang from the top of the plant like mini bells! They are fascinating! Check'em out in the photos below.

I cannot wait until Spring is in full swing (oooh nice rhyme, hehe)!! The weather here in Miami has been crazy and unpredictable lately, one day it's hot and humid, then it rains and a cold front slams us with the shivers for a few days, then it's back to hot and humid, then it gets a little cool, then it's humid and well, you get the picture. It's quite annoying, however I won't complain much more than this because at least we aren't shoveling our way out of our homes and sliding down icy freeways in our cars like most of the country. *Phew!* I couldn't deal with that. I most certainly could not deal with my plants possibly freezing to death and dying, oh the horror! Plus, I wonder how on earth people endure the crazy snow and cold weather, I wouldn't be able to drag myself out of bed, let alone step out of a steamy shower to brave the elements! Suffice it to say I'd get fired from my job shortly after the onset of winter if I lived up north! HA!

Anyway, I hereby break my long blogging hiatus with this garden update post. You may notice that the quality of my photos has vastly improved, which is due to my wonderful new camera (that I put off buying for nearly two years - somewhat to the detriment of my blog and its photo quality thus far - oh well)!! I bought myself a Canon SD1400 IS which features 14.1 megapixels and video. So far, I'm in love, and I'm sure you will be too once you get a load of these photographs I took of my babies...errr...plants! Enjoy!

You might like some of my past garden posts: 

(when my obsession began!)























To see all other posts that I've done on succulents, cacti and gardening just scroll to the very bottom of my blog and click on any of the various descriptive key word labels, such as succulents or cactus (or many others) which will take you to a page containing all blog posts on that subject matter.

Have a great day!

Catherine
xoxo


First, let's start with the plants and planters that reside in the patio....




DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!
This is my newest succulent, one I have been hoping to find for a long time, Echeveria "Doris Taylor"
She's a fuzzy beauty!!!















And these are the gorgeous pinks bell looking flowers that have sprouted from my "Magic Tower" Kalanchoe that I found by the side of the road, read about it here




And this is one of my favorite succulents, Echeveria Glauca I believe, and has undergone quite a bit of growth and transformation since I got her! Check out this post to see her various stages, at first she had no babies, then she put out the second one you see int he picture and the many babies growing from her stem seen in the pictures below. At one point in time she also had long gorgeous flower stalks, check out this post to see all that!




Now, let's check out the plants hanging out on the patio table by the pool.....











A brief intermission on the plant update to feature two of my three dogs. They were curious about me laying on the ground snapping pictures like a madwoman and came over to say hello! Hehe.....


This is Manchita, named for her spots because "mancha" means "stain" in Spanish...

Oh, and she is 15 years old! I got her around the 6th grade! This old gal is a trooper! 


And this handsome fellow is Kimbo (yes, as in Kimbo Slice!)... He is my brother's best friend! He was given to us when he was a puppy and had already been named Kimbo, so we went with it! He is like a human being, such a character! 

Alright, the grand finale, here are my big boy planters lounging poolside in all their glory....















(All images in this post are my personal photographs, please do not use them without my written permission - contact me at InspireBohemia(at)gmail.com - Thank you)