Dutch Artist and Designer Mariska Meijers

Chrisanthemum and Pink Ikat, oil on canvas 40x40cm

I'm excited to share with you a very brave and talented Dutch artist and designer named Mariska Meijers. I call her brave because up until a few years ago Mariska was a corporate attorney! That's right, with no formal training, education or experiences in art or design she took the leap of faith to fulfill her passions, something that should serve as inspiration to all of us.

I am convinced that if one does not do what they love in life, they can never be truly happy or fulfilled! I believe you reach your greatest potential by being true to yourself and your passions. For this reason I admire and respect Mariska, her achievements show that it is never too late to change your mind about how to live your life and it's certainly not impossible to do a squealing u-turn and go in another direction. As long as it is for something that moves you, inspires you, makes you happy and brings out the best of who you are and what you are capable of - go for it!

Moving on.... Artist and Designer Mariska Meijers creates vibrant colorful paintings, depictions of interior spaces including re-imaginings of her very own interior decor. I can relate to this as I often have drawn out rooms in my apartment in other ways I would design them! Her paintings range from watercolor on paper to oil on canvas and her subject matter is predominately eclectic still life interiors. I love her bold use of color, her way of shading with water color paint and most of all, her various patterns and designs of the Ikat nature!

In addition to selling her artwork, Mariska Meijers launched her own stationary line in 2008 and has converted many of her paintings into designer pillows, the first of which launched in May of 2009. For more information about Dutch Artist and Designer Mariska Meijers, and to purchase her artwork and products visit the following sites:

Mariska Meijers is a beautiful and inspirational artist and I am looking forward to meeting her tomorrow, yes tomorrow Saturday July 31, 2010! Mariska Meijers will be having an exhibition for her artwork at the Design Within Reach studio in Coral Gables, Miami, Florida on Miracle Mile. After working in the design industry for a couple years now I have been to the DWR showroom a few times and so I will definitely be there! Did I mention this was Mariska's first U.S. exhibition!? It is! Exciting! Anyway, if you live in or around Miami and would like to attend the art show and reception please R.S.V.P. by visiting the Design Within Reach event website here:

Mariska Meijers at DWR South Florida Studios
Art show and reception: July 31, 2010, 5-8 pm
Art exhibition: July 11 to August 9, 2010


"I don't believe in minimalism. There are no rules when it comes to mixing styles and colours
. A house should give you a happy and warm feeling. With this in mind I create my art and my products."

- Mariska Meijers

Interior with Union Jack, watercolor and ink, 20x20cm




Flamingo Flowers and Pink Ikat, oil on canvas, 40x50cm


Desk, watercolor and ink on paper, 20x20cm


(Images courtesy of Mariska Meijers and should not be used without her permission)